Tooth loss is a devastating condition, emotionally and physically. If you’ve lost all your teeth, it’s difficult to speak and eat, you don’t want to smile, and dentures can be awkward and ill-fitting. But the health consequences can be more significant than you might imagine.
A study of 367 denture wearers (158 men and 209 women) found that 47% exhibited a low chewing performance. Lower intakes of fruit and vegetables and vitamin A were also noted in this group. These patients took significantly more drugs (37%) compared to those with superior chewing ability (20%), and 28% were taking medications for stomach or intestinal disorders.
Dental implants are crowns that are fixed to titanium supports that replace the root of the tooth. They’re a superior alternative to dentures for several reasons:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth.
- Improved speech and eating. Dental implants allow you to speak and eat without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Easier eating. Dental implants allow you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and improve your overall health with the ability to eat fruits and vegetables.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Durability. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
If you’ve lost one tooth, several, or all of them, and want to avoid wearing dentures, please call Dr. Bilal Saib’s Chapel Hill Advanced Dentistry at 919.933.3388 to discuss dental implants and other tooth replacement options.